Sunday, July 17, 2005

Close Encounters of the Match Making Kind

Before I got 'hitched' to my wonderful hubbie, I decided to jump on the Match Making superhighway on the web. I wasn't expecting much, but it was worth a shot.

I must say that I did have a good time filling out my profile...maybe more than I should admit. I was quite honest on answering the questionnaire, like admitting I could find dust bunnies under my bed and the fact that I didn't like people chewing with their mouth open. You usually are prompted to list your accomplishments one way or another, and despite all my self-deprications about myself (usually in the form of "what have I done with my life?"), I found that I had accomplished quite a few things in my life. Some good, some not so good, some - quite frankly - downright bad, but hey....that is the story of ME.

On the matchmaking website it was recommended that you post a picture, assuring the potential 'matchee' a prompter reply. Well, hmmmm, considering the strange ideas that come into my mind - some fleeting, some more enduring - I decided to post the worst picture I had. In my mind I kept telling myself...If someone can look past what I can look like at my worst, well, that someone is worth meeting. Strange correlation, but there you have it. So, I posted a picture of my dressed up in Rennaissance attire....Don't ask...I might explain that one in another blog...

Well, lo and behold, I got some takers! Well, out of this, I allowed myself to put aside my fear of getting mugged or whatever while going out on a date with a person that might have crawled out from under who knows what rock....and I went out on a few dates.

If I had to choose, two dates where the more memorable...One quite good, the other horrific.

The good one was on a Saturday and turned out to be a Marathon Date. It lasted all day. I brought me a dozen red roses when he picked me up (one gold star for bachelor #1), then we went to a basketball game in New Jersey - The Miami Heat vs. The Nets. Then we went to a movie then to dinner. Everything very nice, except when during the game, Bachelor #1 proceeding to yell at a player "WAY TO HUSTLE!" in a derrogatory manner and the player stopped half-court and looked up straight at us. Can you imagine that Bachelor #1 actually me if I thought the guy had heard him. Duh!

Well, considering the probabilities, I would rate that date as an 8 out of 10. Pretty good, but I messed that one up. Mea culpa, I must confess. Some neurotic behaviour I wasn't aware of was lurking all these years in me and decided to make its debut during this short-lived relationship. Let's leave it at that.

The other memorable date I went out on was by far the worst. It was like a train wreck. It was so bad that I had to go on another date with him just to be sure that it wasn't that he was nervous (as all my friends said) or that I wasn't being paranoid (which I kept telling myself). I just couldn't believe that someone could be soooo socially inept. One thing is manners (that can be learned) and one thing is common sense.

Take these actions into consideration and you be the judge:

On our first date he proposed the Russian Tea Room. Now that restaurant is closed, but it used to be a snazzy high class restaurant. I told him that maybe we might go to a more relaxed place on our first date, just a place to sit back and talk. He got uppity and said that maybe we could go to a hot-dog stand on 42nd Street and Broadway. What a charmer! Well, I decided to accept his invitation to the Russian Tea room.

I get there, all dolled up and dressed to kill, and Yes, Miss, we have your reservation under Bachelor #2's name, but No, Miss, he has not arrived. Needless to say, after 27 minutes (Oh, yes, I was timing this), I decided the go in and have dinner by my lonesome. Hey, I was dressed and could afford to pay my own meal. "You go girl", I said to myself and then, miracle of miracles, there he made his entrance like nothing happened. No I'm Sorry, no nothing. Then he acted offended when he realized I was going to have my dinner with or without him. Ugh!!

He crossed a street and left me standing on the other side and started to yell at me "Hurry up...you can still make it if you run!".

I'm glad that I didn't find anyone for myself on the web, basically because if I did, I wouldn't have met my adorable husband. And guess what...I met him a blind date. Hey, you never know!

All in all, I would recommend matchmaking sites to anyone. It is a good media and if you go to a reputable site, just be careful and just be yourself!

Until our next encounter,
Z.

No comments: