Monday, January 05, 2009

Mediterranean Mix - 297 calorie Bento


Every once in a while I indulge in Gyros - yes, I know, but I can't help giving in sometimes. But, I've discovered that from one order I can eat a few times! Have you seen the amount of meat those platters have? And to think I would eat the whole thing without a whimper - now, enough for a few times. Ah...things change!

My Mom would make Taboule from scratch when I was little. A lot of work, let me tell you! All the bulgur soaking, and then the squeezing until not a drop of water was visible. Then the chopping - wowie. Well, she still does it but not very often...I wonder why? I don't mind the chopping - I find it to be very soothing - but I do mind the soaking and squeezing of the bulgur. Reminds me of Potato Latkes - the squeezing of the grated potatoes. Yikes!

Well, I found the Near East Taboule mix in the supermarket and it turned out to be a very close match to the regular bulgur - except for the squeezing part! Eureka! Don't tell my Mom......I still use the rest of the veggies and I still do chop them, so I don't feel so much of a traitor. Somewhat.
In this bento, I added some pomegranate arils that weren't very red, but hey - pomegranate is pomegranate - I love it anyway I can have it!


Bento Content:
  • Taboule (63)
  • Pomegranate arils (13)
  • Grape Tomatoes (21)
  • Mini-Pitas with Gyro meat & spinach (200)

Total Bento = 297 calories

No comments: